1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Game Suggestion Concerning the future of Zerahypt...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BluetoothBoy, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy Well-Known Member

• Coder
    @SYRSA:

I've been chatting a bit with @Magiichan about the game and the Unity engine recently (since we're both nerds and we like that sort of thing, lol). He explained to me the reason you haven't upgraded the project to Unity 5. So here's my question - is it still your plan to continue this project as long as you are able (I hope so)? If this is the case, I would suggest that (some way or another) you upgrade. There's a very good reason for this, so don't think I'm just flapping my lips here. The biggest reason (aside from the cool new features you'll get) is that over time, the older version(s) of the Unity engine and the game builds will become less and less supported by hardware and operating systems. At some point, it is very likely that, if you were to stick with Unity 4, your game could become nearly or completely unplayable. As this is the case, an upgrade to Unity 5 is not a bad idea - in fact, it is a good one. And I think you'd have an even harder time if you wait til it DOES break to do the update, because there will be WAY more to fix down the line. Thus, if it is in fact a project that you want to continue, it is my suggestion that you perform this upgrade, and soon.

But trust me, it's not like I don't know how... troublesome and bothersome that can be. Which is why I am personally offering to help you make the move (basically, fix all the stuff that breaks). Obviously, the final descision is up to you - it is your project and I respect that. But please, take this into consideration, because I (along with many others) would hate to see this project halted because of compatibility issues.

All the best,
    BluetoothBoy

(This was originally supposed to be a PM but I can't send SYRSA a message so I'm just posting it here.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
    Magiichan likes this.
  2. SYRSA

SYRSA Administrator

• Admin
    The issues I have with Unity 5 is that my "Multi Shader" custom shader breaks and everything becomes bright pink (indicating a broken shader). And the joints (the damper seem to not be working last time I tried to convert). And the wheel colliders (a component that breaks when parented inside a gameobject). The shaders are the main problem here, and I believe that it's possible to fix some lines in them so they can be used in Unity 5.

Magiichan and BluetoothBoy like this.
  3. BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy Well-Known Member

• Coder
    Alright, that doesn't sound too terribly bad. If you would like me to take a look at some of the stuff that is breaking, just let me know. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.