1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Hidden Gems

Discussion in 'Zerahypt Media (Screenshots/Video Captures)' started by Magiichan, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    I was messing around with my mods and found dis :3
    [​IMG]

Dzhim, dtb1987 and Skeleton like this.
  2. Eypsilon

Eypsilon Member

It took me a while to realise it's the vehicle from Syrsa's Dutvutanian Blitzkrieg.

Dzhim and Magiichan like this.
  3. SYRSA

SYRSA Administrator

• Admin
    Do not activate any vehicles that are de-activated.

4. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    sorry senpai :<

5. HelKat

HelKat Well-Known Member

if they are deactivated, then why are they still in the resources

6. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

ok... but erm, thats one of the friggin reasons of modding, getting the deactivated and cutout shit to show up and.... work/crash around for LOLZ & FUNZIES, not to be there officialy... or anything like that.

if i was making a mod i wouldn't give a damn, because thats the reason i mod, and to add more crap to the walls as well, see how much'll stick before ye blow the PC. XD
    sadly i'm to busy with all kind of crapping around to actually break open this toybox and mod the hell out of it, otherwise id be doing this kind of stuff :P.

same Question as Helkat though, why is it still in the released recources? when you (following the comment) dont want it in (yet), better remove it and other unwanted stuff from (going to be) released builds to save download space and save that unwanted stuff in a seperate recource pool/folder/file, this is way more efficient and it saves data on both uploads/downloads and installation space.

otherwise accept that people nose around in stuff they're not supposed to, people will do it anyway regardless of what you say, especially since a lot around unity is a relatively easy platform to start and get the hang of and mess around in...

7. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    @HelKat @Avarus_Lux
    50% of the scripts alone aren't even used.
    He just includes all files when releasing the Zerahypt build.

8. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

@Magiichan

ok, seriously i'm like:
    [​IMG] --> (real life photo of me in similair-ish outfit)
    [​IMG]

seriously.... thats not only a waste of space for any users, and inefficient, but also stupid, this means anyone can open the game files, grab whatever they want and run of with them and use it for their own profit, if its good enough people might sell it as their own code.

its a bit less bad then when there are assets in play that are paid for, as he'd be paying for others then, but instead he made everything himself with a lot of time, which basically is the same thing, it means he's coding for everyone for free ( if thats the intention, i like it :D).

hell i was planning to look into his coding, setups and get a good look as to how things work in unity/blender, and maybe copy/edit what i might need to learn from it and have a semi-solid base to start from, as well as to save time initially... but this will make it ridiculously easy...
    i thought that as usual with games only the "needed" files would be uploaded (not counting models and textures), which is a big enough toybox as is, but if everything is uploaded there will be a lot of stuff to play with, which probably means a lot of stuff i do not have to reinvent to get up and running myself :D...

[​IMG]

ah well,

9. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    I don't think that anybody would ever want his code.
    It mostly consist of inefficient static scripts that aren't very flexible, hence it explains why there are alot of duplicate scripts.
    Here's an example, instead of using a linear interpolation script, he does stuff like this.
    Code:
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude < 8){
           SteerAngle = 20;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 8){
           SteerAngle = 16;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 9){
           SteerAngle = 14;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 10){
           SteerAngle = 12;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 11){
           SteerAngle = 10;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 12){
           SteerAngle = 8;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 13){
           SteerAngle = 5;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 14){
           SteerAngle = 4;
          }
          if(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 18){
           SteerAngle = 3;
          }
    And ofcourse having more if-statements than needed.

Code:
    if (number > 100) {

} else if  (number <= 100) {

}
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

inefficient or not... they do show how things work and can be used... and that which is there and inefficient as it might be, it can be rewritten or written anew with more efficiency. and at some point he'll do that himself to improve.

as for this example... holy cow, that could have been 2 or even 1 lines... maybe 3 if you want more variables and to have more flexibillity..., i cant formulate them myself properly yet, but i do know some stuff.

ah well, thanks magiichan :)

11. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    I hope so...
    He always surprises me with this kind of stuff though.
    Not too long ago I saw him copy & paste the decleration of a variable from another script because it's 'easier'.
    Syrsa knows how to get something to work though code, however he just copy & pastes snippets of code in order to do so.
    Which results in inwanted performance issues. Because not all code is fit for flexibility.
    Here's a list of scripts in Zerahypt that are basically the same:
    Thrusterscript
    Thrusterscript2
    Thrusterscript3
    SoundPlayAircraftAccelerate
    SoundPlayAircraftAccelerateReversable
    SoundPlayAircraftEngineCut
    SoundPlayVesselAccelerate
    SoundPlayVesselAccelerateReversable
    SoundPlayVesselBoost
    SoundPlayVesselEngineCut
    EngineRunsound
    EngineRunsoundReversable
    EngineRunsoundVariating
    EngineRunsoundVariatingS
    EngineRunsoundVariatingW
    EngineRunsoundVariatingWS
    EngineRunsoundVariatingWSAD​
    And the list goes on...

These sripts only have slight variations in code. It'd be way better to have a state variable(enum) and use a switch case to accomplish something alike.
    I once offered to help him to teach him how to code, he declined. But some weeks after to told me that he didn't mean it, he only means it when he says it twice?
    So he did wat to learn. But a little further in time I came to realize that he cares if the scripts work, not that much about how that would be achieved.

Sorry for the rant, it's just difficult to watch as a person that has been coding for 7 years.

At the end of the day, Syrsa is just one person, who makes the audio, models & animations. So I guess it should be forgiven.

I'm glad that he lets me create the more complex scripts, so I can optimize it as much as i can~! :3

dtb1987 likes this.
  12. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

we all gotta start somehwere... as for me, yeah i also favor and like the aproach of "if it works, its good, if it aint broke, dun fix it..." as well and tend to copy crap as well, but only for as long as needed or that im comfortable with, as soon as i find a better way to do stuff i often revisit and redo the thing (if appropriate and needed).... hence i am already working almost 2 years on a stupid dropship model in blender... its the model i learn th program with and i have redone almost its entirety at least a dozen times (current file save revision count is on 85... and thats only the progress when i actually save it (that and i tend to work long on a single shift, say 12-20 hours (whole saturday + maybe sunday) so 85x12=1020 hours at least XD).

i still have to actually start in unity but i find that i have little time on my hands to actually do so (40hr dayjob isnt good for funtime).
    hmmm, would you mind recommending me some things that might help me, instead of me just picking a random straw of from the haystack :P.
    i also have a university book for C++ that starts me from A to Z, dates 2010 so might be a bit old, good enough for the basics but i think youtube may be more helpful for a beginner then the book, so use it as a dictionary of sorts instead, your opinion?

ZikkioXan likes this.
  13. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    Woah, that's alot of time! 'o'
    But yeah, I don't really know what to recommend to you, since I have no idea what you currently do know, and what you don't.
    I started with visual basic about 8 years ago. Switched to c# /w Unity about 4 years ago. I never knew how games were made, and was always stuck in windows form applications. But when slender the eight pages came out, I saw "Unity" as splashscreen before the game started. It was a wonderful discovery for me since I never knew about game engines. I just started watching videos on youtube for first person shooters. Mainly writing literally everything the videos told me to do, more or less copy & pasting. But after a while I started to recognize patterns in the code. How to define variables, how to make them globally accessable, how instances work with classes, function return types, etc. Unity has a great tutorial section for alot of stuff. This LINK should be your #1 source of help, you should know your way around unity quite well after watching the videos. But more specifically the coding section, THIS contains the basics of c# syntax like declaring variables to more advanced stuff like polymorphism and interfaces.
    If these videos are a bit confusing, try to watch some tutorials on youtube that explain the most basic concepts of c#. You'll probably end up having to use Visual Studio in these applications.

14. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

thanks, so basically i learn my stuff about the same as you, see stuff... copy stuff. then recognise stuff and do your own thing as you go...
    and dont worry, just treat me as if i dont know jack ;) works best 9/10 times :).

as for the unity links, yeah i found those, always good to ask randomly though as a lot of times theres better/easier tutorial stuff to be recommended from other sources then the officials...

and yeah its a really afwul lot of time i have spent on a single model, but then again i use everything i learn on that darn thing whenever i find out about a new trick, its my testbed and it'll probably always stay that...

anyways 8 years a lot of time... lets hope i can learn it as fast as i usually learn when i get some time... especially since was able to write simple things like "hello world" and some other stuff a few years ago, pretty much forgot all of that by now, but should be easy enough to re-remember it when i put my head into it.

also, sorry for me hijacking this thread like i did/do.
    to get back on topic.... are there any more of those lovely easter eggs in the game files?

Magiichan likes this.
  15. dumdedums

dumdedums New Member

Speaking of hidden gems that is very cool. I don't usemods and don't have screenshots but in the space asteroid place by the glowing rock you might see singing rocks with tophats

Avarus_Lux and Magiichan like this.
  16. Magiichan

Magiichan Administrator

• Admin
    • Coder
    especially when you try to mine them :D

Avarus_Lux likes this.
  17. Zaddy23

Zaddy23 Member

Poshium is best element.

Faction_red and TimberWolf224 like this.
  18. Chloe Voidborn

Chloe Voidborn Member

Perhaps I don´t know about the essence of modding, because in all honesty it´s up to the modder to decide the purpose for his modding but srsly thats quite the hate in the first comments of the Thread. I mean it would make sense to me that he is storing all those unused aspects inside the game because there is no safer way of storing data in case you fear that your pc may crash some unlucky day and all your files are lost. Because let´s face it, what would you prefer? Hidden content, which can be revealed through modding or when SYRSA decides to reactivade them or having a slightly smaller download package but when a pc crash comes, you will never have those original models again, only recreated versions at best. (for example if i would spend hours and hours on working on a good book (or that dropshit in Avarus_Lux´s case) and then it would let´s say burn up i wouldn´t have the energy nor the motivation to rewrite it word for word (besides that would be impossible)
    Because every game has unused content in it´s code, or at least all the good ones. Instead of hating him for giving us free stuff which may or may not come in handy in later versions we should just ask "When will it be re-released? :3"

Magiichan and Rebecca like this.
  19. dtb1987

dtb1987 Aon chomhalta ar eolas go maith

• Donor
    if you want to back things up get an external hard drive (they are dirt cheap) of even use cloud storage, they are right there is no good reason to store unused objects in a game

20. Levi

Levi Member

how may i activate this vehicle and can i spawn it else where?