1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Game Suggestion Scram Cannons!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Totally Lemon, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Totally Lemon

Totally Lemon Member

First I’d like to say… Zerahypt’s meshing of new and old technologies is somewhat refreshing. Technological advancement is by no means a compartmented process. Back in the days of cartridge, breach-loading firearms - muzzle-loaders were still being developed and manufactured despite being hopeless outdated.

A better example: There is a hat company in Texas that still uses machines build in the 1930s to manufacture hats. That being said, most works of fiction only incorporate a narrow sliver of technological progression, typically leaving out more archaic technology. This is a sad state of affairs considering the story potential of mixed-tech.

Anyways, what this thread is really about…

Scram cannons, or ram accelerators are a theoretical kinetic energy weapon. Just go look it up on Wikipedia if you want to know the specifics, but the basics are as follows (don't worry, I explain it below the image (for any nincompoops)):

[​IMG]

If you can’t follow that diagram, let me explain. Basically, the projectile in a ram accelerator is started via conventional gun, or other simplistic ballistic means. Heck, the process could start with rockets - it just needs to get supersonic (faster than sound). A portion of the barrel is filled with a gaseous propellant. As the fired projectile passes through the gaseous propellant, it ignites the propellant, and is accelerated along by a cascading/exploding wave of propellant. This makes the projectile go super-fast. Much faster than conventional gun tech because unlike in a regular gun, ram projectiles continuously accelerate for the full time they're in the barrel. Makes for some hella' gnarly boo-boos... like rail-cannons, but that's another suggestion.

But why the hell mention all that jazz about the mingling of old and new technology? Because scram cannons are like hybrids of new and old. Zerahypt seems to have the conventional firearms vibe going on, along with the occasional shooty-gun-ray that blahzaps lazer beams, so scram cannons fit right in! It'd be another interesting angle to spice up the universe.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    captainmanchild and FonkDerok like this.
  2. Totally Lemon

Totally Lemon Member

No one like?

EDIT: Thanks XD

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. B1G-CR1ME

B1G-CR1ME Guest

[EDIT] With certain amount of effort being put into the R&D, it can be a great... pea shooter.

Why do people are so crazy about weaponry, I shall never understand.

SWORDSMANSH!T is what this game needs for no goddamn reason whatsoever!

4. Totally Lemon

Totally Lemon Member

Sorry, I'm am an American and shooting guns is really fun. :)

I especially like antique firearms. They have tones of history behind them. I'm especially fond of Kentucky Long Rifles, which have got to be the most pleasurable shooting experience - other than schuetzen, which is basically an art form.

I've shot guns with people from foreign countries and all of them thought it was fun... especially anyone from Northern Europe... which just so happens to be were the rifle was created, go figure. It might have something to do with loud noises and sudden, expressive action. Lots of humans like loud music, sporting events, and action movies; for the same reason. Firearms have a certain dynamic to them - it’s almost empowering, which appeals to people’s egos. You also get immediate feedback, whereas some activities are unresponsive, firearms are a somewhat intimate thing -similar to the freedom you get when driving a car, boat, or airplane, just in a different way.

Anyway, swords are really cool. I took some fencing classes and it really gave me an appreciation for the sport. I've been to a few European countries. There is a much richer history for swordsmanship over there. For the same reason people are enamored with how sword fights are romanticized, others are enthralled by cowboys and gunfighters.

5. SYRSA

SYRSA Administrator

• Admin
    Scram cannons seem a bit convoluted to serve in practice, as a gun that is. The diaphragm that breaks and the barrel you'd have to change after each turn makes it require more maintenance to keep running than the magnetic/electric guns that Terrahyptians use.

6. Totally Lemon

Totally Lemon Member

Well, the diaphragm could be spindled carbon fibers. Thousands of diaphragms could be carried on a person without feeling an ounce more of weight. Still, the diaphragms can be replaced by shutters activate when the initial stage is fired. Baffle systems are also another way to keep the propellant in the barrel. Also, the barrel doesn't have to be changed each time... unless you are using interchangeable barrels for some reason. The gas can just be pumped into the barrel.

The ram accelerator's advantage, and why militaries are looking into them, is because they produce much less residual heat. Rail-cannons have major heating issues that, even with advanced meta-materials, serve to fundamentally hinder them in many regards (not to mention a few other major flaws). This is why rail-cannons are theorized to be large caliber weapon systems far into the future. Electrothermal-chemical and Scram tech are the best candidates for small arms. Kinetic weapons are going to be used till the end of time, as blooming seems to be the greatest roadblock for projected energy.

Alas, the greatest benefit to scram is perceived ease of manufacturing. Although simple, mass drivers require rare earth metals, precision engineered parts, and meticulously crafted ammunition. Not to mention the power supply is a pain in the ass. Ram can be achieved with conventional propellants i.e. methane-oxygen propellants diluted with carbon dioxide (someone can make that shit in their basement). Multiple nations have already built working ram guns... the reason rail has the attention of most world powers is because they want it for artillery.

But hey. What the hell. It's your lore and perhaps those issues have be solved and/or are none existent. Just trying to bring alternatives to attention over here. :)

7. dtb1987

dtb1987 Aon chomhalta ar eolas go maith

• Donor
    why not use rail guns instead, these seem like a more primitive version of rail guns

B1G-CR1ME likes this.
  8. Totally Lemon

Totally Lemon Member

Why not use both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.