1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Tip: Using VLC player to watch the stream

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussions' started by Zeth, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Zeth

Zeth Member

Alright. So as some of you know, my laptop is pretty much a piece of junk by today's standards. It would probably serve pretty well as a repurposed toaster but I have my doubts about the quality of those toasts. Anyways as a matter of fact, this old boy absolutely HATES unoptimized-flash player-based things especially PICARTO's streams because for some reason my CPU (which is core i-3 clocked at 2x 2,26Ghz not really meant for gaming I know) usage is at 100% all the time. Granted It's partially because I tend to run other programs along with my browser but still it's FLASH plugin that seems to take most of the precious resources.
    After some fiddling around, I managed to come up with a workaround:
    You see Picarto is using RTMP protocol to stream the videos. With that in mind it's actually pretty easy to connect to the stream using VLC Player. Simply launch the player, go to Media -> Open network stream (ctrl+N) and put "rtmp://live.us.picarto.tv:1935/golive/SYRSA" (without quotes) as the stream URL. Then just click "play" button and bam! Enjoy!

Pros:
    • No need for flash player plugin, which in turn saves resources (My CPU was going around 30-40% usage).
    Cons:
    • No chat - well that one is obvious since VLC player is media player rather than web browser (go figure). Only workaround is going to the stream and, popping out the chat window and then closing the stream.
    • connection might get unstable which can result in stream getting stuck in a loop. This can be fixed by clicking stop and play buttons.
    In conclusion, although it may sound like the drawbacks are kinda beating the point of watching the stream in the first place, for me those extra ticks are worth it. Sure I could buy a new laptop but before you even think about suggesting that particular solution let me say the following -NO FUCK YOU! I know my laptop sucks, but I don't exactly poop money to buy a new one, those things aren't fucking cheap ya know?

Anyways, I thought I might share this. I just wonder if it's possible to use the RTMP link to watch the streams on mobile device, even though there might already be an app out there anyways...

Rebecca and Magiichan like this.