1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

What drawing programs do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussions' started by JustYourAverageRetro, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JustYourAverageRetro

JustYourAverageRetro New Member

I tend to just use Gimp and Paint, but I know there are much better ones out there.

2. Catblaster

Catblaster Veteran Member

first of all I'd like to say I don't personally draw, I do however do some light editing from time to time

I mostly use paint.net(not actually a site but a program, the site of it is getpaint.net) and photoshop cs6 for things I can't find in paint.net.
    friends seem to really enjoy paintoolsai for drawing, and some old or recent version of flash.

3. Brandon Burghard

Brandon Burghard Member

Photoshop is the way to go.

4. BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy Well-Known Member

• Coder
    I've tried digital drawing, but I'm not a fan. I would expect to be a lot more into it if I had a tablet that had a screen (I have a screenless Bamboo at the moment). But I do know Sketchbook is pretty good. A good free one is Firealpaca.

5. Brandon Burghard

Brandon Burghard Member

I have a cintiq companion and yeah it makes a huge difference. but if you can't shell out that kind of money you can always just scan sketches and clean them up using the tablet

6. Bullet Hell

Bullet Hell Active Member

I'm using Paint Tool SAI and rarely adding some Photoshop magic to it. Maybe I would use Photoshop more, but it's lagging like hell on my laptop when I'm trying to draw in it and my lines are looking choppy as hell. I can't even tell if I'm that bad with lines without stabilizer or it's a fault of the program because it needs so many resources.
    [​IMG]

7. HelKat

HelKat Well-Known Member

i just use mspaint for everything
    here, have a duck that smokes
    Smoking Duck.png

MagicDishWasher likes this.
  8. Enzyme-Sigma

Enzyme-Sigma Warlord Member

• Donor
    Autodesk Sketchbook, It's nothing fancy but it's still pretty good.

9. Azai

Azai Moderator

• Mod
    I don't have that much $$$ to cash out so I use a free program called Krita. I am really pleased with it.
    This is the first or second drawing I made in it:
    [​IMG]
    And here is something I'm working on with it now (the original is 3000x3000, I scaled it down):
    [​IMG]

10. Madnesskov

Madnesskov Member

I know this is late for the thread but if you are still interested i use;
    Sai paint tool: for lineart
    and
    Photoshop: for rendering
    P.S
    I'm not very good at it ;)
    :P

11. Buka

Buka Member

Gimp has pretty much everything you need for 2d. it includes, but not limited to: paint dynamics (with a lot of parameters, you can bind almost any parameter to pressure, tilt, etc of your tablet), bezier curves, a lot of procedural functions (different noises, perlin, voronoi, fractal explorers, etc). Though, it can be hard to draw in raster mode, some people may prefer vector based inkscape. I didnt had much experience with it, but it's suitable for drawing, rendering your image at any resolution. You cant use bitmap brushes though, since it's vector, not raster.

12. Avarus_Lux

Avarus_Lux Active Member

personally i use photoshop CS6,
    but before i went photoflops i used gimp and although gimp is a fine free program, it is tough to use, not very intuitive but it has most thing you would need...

Krita is a very advised program as of late, https://krita.org/, give it a try i'd say, you're not losing any money by trying, and seeing it is gaining popularity its bound to be good...

another good one is inkscape... https://inkscape.org/en/

and if these dont do the job try paint tool sai, http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/
    or flash from adobe which is pretty great to.... but will cost you money.

best on the market imho is still photoflop... but opinions differ :)