1. Before you ask anything, make sure that you've read the FAQ

Game Suggestion Wildlife in a more ... elaborate way.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chloe Voidborn, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe Voidborn

Chloe Voidborn Member

Yes yes, i know some of you might think, 'third Thread already? Geez' but think again ^^
    I know that many many people suggest lots of nice and versatile things on the forum, applause to the community at this point *clap clap*.
    But many keep forgetting that every little thing has to be thought over and over, fit into the lore, made original to feel Zerahyptian, and last but not least programmed, so why don´t we all try to take a li´l of this weight off Syras´s shoulders by not only suggesting stuff like Armor or sandworms or berries, but also take our time and think on how to fit those things into Zerahyp logically. I know it doesn´t sound that much, but acually i know first hand how very tiresome it can be trying to please the audience by bringing in something community-suggested but also having to distinguish between reasonable requests and how to make that part not feel out of place especially if that happens on a rather regular basis.
    Thats why basic thoughts and artistic concepts could also be provided by you guys and me to Syras. Not to be taken over 1:1 but as basic ideas on which he can start to elaborate around and not having to start from the tiresome first scratches.
    Also this would mean that we have to give more thoughts to our own ideas which means in the end we would be able to portrait our idea far more vividly to Syras than only "hey bring armor into Zerahypt".
    Wouldn´t you agree?

Ok enough about why suggestions and stuff and back to the main point of this Topic: Wildlife for now.
    There are multiple Threads about wildlife in general here (using them as pets, forest snipers [interesting animals o.O], and dunelike sandworms, etc] and i thought 'Hmm, what if we pool our effords into one big pond instead of each of us using our own little glass.
    That´s why i would support the idea of a general thread about different community-based creatures in one big thread instead of several little ones, where we can exercise the things i mentioned earlier in this post.

So in case some may suggest me being all bark but no bite I will make the first suggestion:

Possible name suggestion, version 1.0: Sand Vortex (Dirt Devil hö hö hö)
    Possibility of habitat: Mainly the sandstruck lands od the outer edge of Terrahypt
    Size between a couple 20 Meter and several hundred Meter in sanddiameter(you will know what i mean by the end of this text)
    Imagine you´re just strolling around in your scooter, maybe having an all out brawler party with some Akbar and just minding your own buisness in a vast and plain area of nothing but sand. Then suddenly the earth begins to tremble while the sands themself seem to level down to a center to your right. The earth itself seems wishful to devour you as the area you´re in becomes more lika a cone by the second. Tons and tons of surrounding sand from the surrounding areas out side of the cone rish to the center, pulling you with them like a boat on a maelstrom. Strange fanglike...things pop out at the edge of the sandcone armed with teeth up to the teeth, slowly closeing all means of escape by their sheer mass. While you are able to withstand the current to a certain extent whilst dodging weird white teethlike things that pop out randomly from under the sand, the Akbar black brick-like ship has nothing to fight agaisnt the sand current and -after crashing in one of those white obelisks, quickly getts pulled in the very center. With and underwhelming sound that´s rattling through your ship and bones equally, a medilarge eruption causes the akbar ship and a cloud of sand in the middle to erupt towrwards the sky, only to find themselfs falling into a gaping tubelike worm-mouth, as you think "Aww, sh1t, not one of those guys again." Since, luckily, you have already encountered this type of underground desert predator you know what to do. Since it seems to be a full grown specimen, whith a cone exceeding five hundet meters in diameter and a hellishly steep slope which your tiny and fast speeder can´t comprehend and since your means of escape are diminishing, you turn towrwards the gaping hole in the deepest point of the cone. With all your guts you take up momentum as you come closer and closer to this huge devouring machine which still swallows enormous amounts of sand. You drive around it as close as you dare to, while your ship is trying to buck out under your seat. But thanks to the risky accelerating maneouver you have enough acceleration to drive up the hill in style, leaving this hellhole. But as soon as you leave the crator, the Sand Vortex realises that no more prey remains inside his grasp. Now he starts spitting out an enourmous dustcloud which quickly fills up the cone to what it was before, leaving no trace of the terror that lurks beneath the ground.

So yeah, this gigant lovable beast of gluttony could have an "outer appearance" (burried creatures and outer appearance, ye) similar to a Sarlacc from Star wars. only with the huge difference that it doesn´t wait for some jabba the scrub-Ripoff to feed him random prisoners and bounty hunters, but lies in wait under the sands, sensing movement of wildlife or an unsuspecting ground based travellers, even the air vibration of ground based flying ships, with their tremor sense antennas burried throughout the surrounding sands.

In the game they could use as some sort of jump-scare quicktime challenge because varying on the size (age) of the specimen the created cone and slope will be much less dangerous for younger specimens. however since it would be unfair to do sth out of the blue we could say that the ground under which such a vortex lies has a sliiiiiightly noticable pattern on the sand (or maybe a lack of rocks) which are harder to predict but easier to escape for said younger ones. But once your caught inside of one of the big ones, you´d acually have to use slingshot mechanics to escape, not only aiming for a passage between erupted fangs of your hunter but also building up the momentum necessary to pass into said passage.
    On top of that besides being one hellish mob (if not tread with care) once could make so that at some point (perhaps if we have a quest system of some sort) your goal is acually to get swallowed by a big one with some kind of special designed ship for that purpose so that you can explore the interiors of this ... i´d suppose perhaps squid-like being... or to get whatever the quest-npc wants. (Example: Egnia wants you to get some digestive flora of those vortex, to be added to her own in order to eolve her gut flora to live up to a certain type of infestation somewhere, thus alloing you to use a biological-ship she designed to be some tasty but protective snack for the lucky vortex.)

Regarding the lore there are multiple possibilities they could be placed (interstellar space 'rats' ... nah just kidding i mean some sort of infestational lifeform looking for deserts on inhabited planets, they were created by the elders to filter the archium out of the sand and into the air for some purpose 8or sth similar], they were another type of wildlife supposed to play part in upholding the fragile ecological equilibrium in Terrahypt)

That´s around all for my first idea, perhaps i will add some more things later but right now it´s 1AM and i´m hecka tired.

Hoping this will find your approval,
    Chloe Voidborn

Magiichan and Rebecca like this.
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Veteran Member

Sounds scary as heck, and I like it. however, I just have one question from a biological standpoint, I'm curious as to how something like this may evolve, as the sands of Terrahypt are dried up seabeds as far as I can discern, which means that unless it was a mutation from Yluxa, it must have evolved phenomenally quickly, heh.

I'd imagine that a Bejsirf would be able to escape it fairly easily, as it has no connection with the ground. The Sand Cruiser on the other hand would be really fun to have in this situation.

3. SYRSA

SYRSA Administrator

• Admin
    The wildlife on Terrahypt isn't as vivid as you'd think, or predictable based on already existing sci-fi novels. Especially in the Agrian deserts because it's one of the most regulated areas on Zerahypt. The deserts outside the Terrahyptian mainland are too close to the core of Terrahypt to have any burrowing sand creatures like sandworms. Such creatures would've been killed already by the densely organized Agrian tendrils that cover the whole underside of the desert. If anything, it could be a "business end" of these tendrils, boring out from the sand to dispatch or capture agrian vessels.

There is a large desert area in Dark Keigan of which underside isn't covered with these Agrian tendrils. But it wouldn't have a huge sarlac-like creature like your "Sand Vortex" because it wouldn't make any sense living on Terrahypt with the current wildlife that I've already established in this lore.

dtb1987 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.